Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hills x 14

Today  the Garmin Calendar lists "Hills x 14." For my hill workouts I run on NW Withnam Hill Dr between NW Grant and NW Circle Blvd.  It has about a 5% - 6% grade, which is ideal for longer hill intervals.  The workout consists of a mile warm up, running up the hill for two minutes at 5k effort, jogging down for 3 minutes, repeating fourteen times, and then a mile cool down.

I decided to run from our house to the hill, which ended up being a 3 mile warm up, but it was relatively cool so I though it would be okay.  As I started the repeats I quickly remembered why I dislike this hill so much; it starts off steep, levels off, the grade increases and stays the same for about 50 yards, and then it increase a bit more until it crests at the top.  The last 20 - 30 yards are painful! After 4 or 5 repeats I was calling on a high power!  I thought about Christina and Shawna, and how this is nothing compared to what they go through mentally and physically.  I thought about the Olympic athletes and what many had to do to get the gold.  Okay, I know that I have never been and will never be competing at the Olympic level, but it is still a good motivation tool while I am training.  By the 6th repeat I counting down, "Just 7 more after this one, just six more after this one...."  After I think the 12th I saw a couple of deer that I took a picture of, nice distraction and an excuse for an extra rest period.


After the intervals I ran about a mile for recovery, finding and eating some blackberries along the way.  I decided after that too walk the rest of the way home.  The entire workout without the walk ended up being over ten miles!



 Tomorrow will be a slow 12 mile run, see you then!

Please consider donating for my effort to raise $2,012 to support Christina during my run of the Portland Marathon in 2012.
http://gogetfunding.com/project/running-against-tnbc-portland-2012

No comments:

Post a Comment