Sunday, March 4, 2012

Back from an injury

 

Several weeks ago I injured my left Achilles tendon and calve from over-training.  My goal is to bet my half marathon PR and get below 1:30.  In October of last year I dropped about two and a half minutes of my PR (1:38:12) at the Run Away Pumpkin Half Marathon.  This was my first race since Christina was diagnosed, and we had just returned from Oregon.  I only trained for about two weeks, and it was a tough race.  I planned to training fully for the next half marathon.

image

Enter the Cascade Half Marathon.  This race was scheduled far enough in advance to allow for a ten week training schedule.  I set my training schedule using the Runner's World UK Schedule For Your Garmin site with a target of 1:30.  The paces in the workouts felt about right.  The distance workout were fine, but the speed workout were tough!  The race was one of the toughest half marathons I competed in as I really had to push myself to keep my pace within range, but I did nearly hit my target.  I knew in the next race I would be able to break the 1:30 mark!

After the race, I searched for my next race.  I found the Corvallis Half Marathon scheduled for April 15, 2012.  I went to the RW site to setup my new training schedule.  I decided that since I was able to cut nearly eight minutes from my previous PR it would be reasonable to set a target of 1:25.  After a couple of rest days, I started my new training program.  The new workout were felt a little fast, and the speed workouts really pushed me to my limits.  After a few weeks my Achilles and calve said enough is enough! Time for RICE - (Rest, Ice, Compression, & Elevation)

The last few weeks have been tough not being able to run.  The stress of work and life keep coming, but I can’t run? Not fair, but I did have it coming.  The over-training certainly contributed to the injury, however my injury prevention program… what a second… what is an injury prevention program?  Is that what all the warm up jogs, stretching, and calisthenics were all about in high school?  I never liked doing them, and as an adult I didn’t have to follow the rules.  Oops! Needless to say, I have started to follow an injury prevention program. 

Over the last week or so, I started to run again.  I backed my training schedule back down to a sub 1:30 half, and started a preventive injury program.  I warm up, stretch, run, cool down, and stretch again in every workout.  I may incorporate some Yoga at some point, but for now that is the extent of my stretching.

Yesterday I ran a 10k practice run at race pace.  I ran the last part of the Corvallis Half Marathon course starting at the finish, up to the course 3.1 miles, and then back to the finish.  This was my first speed workout since my injury, and I took a few extra seconds at the traffic lights to catch my breath.  The last couple of miles were tough, but the slight downhill grade helped.

I need to register for the Shufflin’ For Shawna: 10k fundraiser which is scheduled for Saturday, March 24th at MLK Jr. Park in Corvallis.  It will fit nicely with a scheduled workout around that time. Christina and Shawna have connected through mutual friends, and we want to support Shawna and her family.  If you are local you can sign up for the 10k run/walk and there is a free 1k for kids. 

See you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment