Saturday, November 30, 2013

Boston Marathon Pre-Training Session #7–Pre’s Trail


When I was in high school when I first learned of Steve Prefontaine.  Although his life was cut tragically short before I started running he was one of my running idols.  Although we live 45 minutes from Eugene, I have never made to trip to Alton Baker Park to run on Pre’s Trail.  Today I made the trip, and ran the 4 mile trail. This was one day after the Civil War football game in which Oregon beat Oregon State 36-35, and I just happened to be wearing on Beavers windbreaker.  I did get some curious looks as I ran on the trail that is adjacent to Autzen Stadium, but everyone was pleasant enough.  I did reflect a bit on Pre’s life from what I remember, and also reflected on my own life as a young teenager learning of my love for running.  I did not achieve the successes that Steve Prefontaine accomplished, however running did give me a place to escape, compete, and to keep in shape physically.  I was able to qualify for the Boston Marathon on the first try, I guess that is something Winking smile

No comments:

Post a Comment