Sunday, January 5, 2014

Boston Marathon Training - Week #1 Day #5 - 9 Miles LSD

 

Today was the last day of the first week of training for the Boston Marathon.  I missed my workout yesterday as I spend the day in the garage working on fixing some headphones and lost track of time.  My son Cole had a basketball game at 7PM, and I thought if I hurried I could squeeze in my 4 mile run.  I quickly gathered my running gear, but I couldn’t find my GPS watch.  I searched for about 20 minutes, then realized I was out of time.  My wife Christina found it when I was out on my run, thanks Babe! 

Today I ran using the Garmin Fit app on my phone, which was fine for a LSD run because I pretty much know my pace.  I ran northbound on highway 99, then left on Lewisburg Rd, left on Highland Dr, up the hill, down the hill, left on Walnut, and then back home.  The first few mile heading up 99 there was I bit of a head wind. I took it slow and easy as prescribed.  After turning on Lewisburg around mile 4 I was starting to feel some fatigue.  I stopped a couple of time to check if my app was calculating the miles correctly in part, but also to bring down my heart rate.  I took a long break at the corner of Lewisburg road and Highland Dr, and then again at the base of the hill by Crescent Valley HS. I shot a quick video from there, and prepared to run up the 1/2 mile up hill section of the hill.

I ran up the hill at a very slow pace, and walked when my heart rate got too high.  I normally just press up the hill regards of my heart rate, and only stop if I am close to my maximum heart rate, however I have decided to try to stay within goals of the training program.  I rested one last time at the top of the hill, and then ran the downhill part of the route, and then back home. 

Overall I am satisfied with the run.  I felt okay, but I struggled to keep my heart rate down on a relatively easy run.  I need to be patient and build my base back up, boring!

9 Mile LSD

1 comment: