Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Boston Marathon Training - Week #2 Day #1 - 5 Miles with Hills


The main reason I started this blog was to capture my thoughts, share my feelings, and get support from my friends and family while we battled against my wife triple negative breast cancer diagnose.  I use running as one of my therapeutic aides, and thought capturing my thoughts in video, writing, and Garmin training activities would be a great way to share this information as well as a living journal of my personal journey.
As time has passed in the last two years Christina’s cancer was under check, and after running races came and went, my motivation to keep up the blog went away as well.  Once I qualified and made it into the Boston Marathon that changed.  I wanted to capture and share my training notes as I progress thought my training plan for what will be one of the most historic Boston Marathon to date.  So that is where I began…..
Yesterday we found that Christina’s cancer may be back.  It is not 100% confirmed, but there is a new tumor.  Of course this is devastating news, but I am so proud of my wife for the courage, strength, determination, and resolve in her plan of attach against this disease.  I am also very thankful of all of our friends and family matters that are in support of our family.  Thank You! So now back to the future….
Today on the schedule was a 5 mile run with hills.  I plan a route from HP to Good Sam, and back.  There was a small hill that I knew I would climb, and thought I would power up the hill blow off some stress, thinking that this is nothing compared to the hill we are climbing against cancer.  Instead my thoughts lead me to go back to my training plan goals; take it easy, no huffing and puffing.  That is what I did for the most part. Going up the hill I had to remind myself to slow down.  I felt good during the run, and completed it in 41:24 @ 8:16 min/mil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment